The District of Saanich has engaged Island View Land Management (IVLM) to lead the rezoning application of the Nellie McClung Library (3950 Cedar Hill Road). This application will be a pilot ‘rezoning only’ application. The intent of this application will be to facilitate the redevelopment of the library site as well as to create a attainable and affordable housing opportunities.
- This rezoning application is being initiated by the District of Saanich as the landowner and led by Island View Land Management Ltd.
- The application is intended to evaluate:
o building form, use(s), density
o site servicing impacts
o transportation and parking demand o massing and shadowing effects
o tree impact and replacement
o overall neighbourhood impact
• The District of Saanich will vet this application against the relevant policies, including the
Draft Official Community Plan, and will process the application in accordance with its development review processes and procedures
Greater Victoria Public Library Need
Originally opened in 1976, Nellie McClung was rebuilt following a fire in 1991. It is ideally located within its community, near the busy intersection of Mackenzie and Shelbourne, with excellent
public access. It consistently ranks among the top three GVPL library locations for the highest number of patron visits and items borrowed.
The 30 years old facility is showing wear and tear and was identified in the 2009 GVPL Needs Assessment Report as having some of the poorest conditions in the system. Despite the aging facilities, Nellie McClung is one of the busiest branches in the system, ranking 1st in youth program attendance, 2nd in circulation and 3rd in in-person visits. The branch is undersized and limits the ability to meet the needs of the community.
Replacement of the branch with a 25,000-30,000 square foot branch is recommended within the next 10 years. The purpose of this rezoning will be to facilitate up to a 30,000 square foot new library space at this location.
The District of Saanich will be rezoning this property to facilitate a Community Housing Fund application to BC Housing to facilitate the successful development of an affordable rental housing building. The general parameters of this proposal are as follows:
- Support a broad mix of homes: studios, one bedroom, two bedroom and three-bedroom units.
- Create a common indoor and outdoor amenity space for the shared enjoyment of all tenants.
- Provide a small office space for the housing provider.
- Target approximately 200-dwelling units over 12-storeys (11 including the library).The zoning bylaw we will be drafting is intended to reasonably accommodate both the library space as well as the housing program outlined while meeting the District of Saanich’s transportation, parking, accessibility, urban forest, and low carbon building efficiency needs and requirements.
In-person and online open houses will happen in October, dates, times and locations TBA.
For more information, to register to receive updates or to provide feedback, please be in touch: Niall Paltiel
Planning and Development Manager
Island View Land Management Ltd.
c: 250-514-8429 e: firstname.lastname@example.org