The Mayor’s Task Force on Housing Affordability and Sustainability has “identified top priorities for immediate action and a series of supporting principles, strategies and actions based on a 10-year time horizon”. Its recommendations are anticipated to form the core content of the Housing Strategy.
The Task Force recommendations are organized under seven key themes:
- Increasing affordable and supportive housing;
- Promoting and protecting rental housing;
- Supporting housing diversity and increasing supply;
- Reducing barriers to housing development;
- Strengthening partnerships;
- Enhancing community engagement of housing needs and initiatives; and
- Understanding housing demand and addressing land speculation.
Saanich is looking for feedback on the task force’s recommendations on housing and affordability in Saanich via our short survey. The recommendations are outlined in a report and will guide the direction of housing decisions in Saanich.