The recently updated Regional Growth Strategy (RGS) identifies two key housing-related priorities integral to the long term livability and sustainability of the region: 1) the development of policies and strategies designed to promote and support a range of housing types and tenures to meet the needs of individuals of all ages, incomes and abilities; and 2) initiatives to improve housing affordability including the provision of a mix of housing types (market and non-market).
Its five goals are:
- Build the right supply of housing across the spectrum
- Sustain a shared regional response to existing and emerging housing demand
- Protect and maintain existing non-market and market rental housing stock
- Develop and operationalize a regionally coordinated housing and homelessness response
- Create community understanding and support for affordable housing developments
Saanich is one of 11 municipalities participating in the CRD-led Housing Needs Assessment, the results of which will be complete by December 2020. The data will be helpful to Saanich in developing its proposed housing strategy, a priority initiative that was the stated reason for ‘pausing’ our and subsequent Local Area Plan updates. Mayor Haynes has established a Standing Committee on Housing Affordability and Supply “to make recommendations to Council on means by which to improve access to affordable housing within the District”. These meetings are open to the public.